Saturday, September 11, 2010

Apam Balik (Ban Chang Kueh aka Mee Chien Kueh) ~ 11.9.2010

My first taste of apam balik (lai cher ko --- in cantonese) was in Singapore more than 45 years ago...
I still love this delicacy till today.....

I just bought this whole big piece this afternoon at pudu market..



This stall is operated by a mother and son team for many years... and their business is good.






Look at their stove












and the pan...

Recipe

Ingredients for Batter:
  • 330g plain flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 caster sugar
  • 1tsp instant dry yeast
  • 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1½ water
 Ingredients for Filling:
  • 300g toasted peanuts  -  grind coarsely
  • 50g castor sugar
  • butter
  • sweet corn kernels  -  optional
 Matter:
  1. For the batter, mix altogether to smooth batter.  Leave for 30 mins.
  2. Heat up a non stick pan and rub in a little butter/oil on to it.  Pour a ladle of batter and swirl into a round pancake  Cover and cook at medium low heat for a minute or until cooked.
  3. Sprinkle some peanut, sugar , sweet corn kernel (optional) and dot with butter. 
  4. Fold up into a half moon shape.  Remove, cut and serve hot.

4 comments:

  1. Anyone has the recipe of this cake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10Q Alice.
    Will try out this when I have all the ingredients
    I used to buy the big one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know the result. I have not try it myself; just like you, buy lor....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post and the recipe, Alice! I always thought I heard the night market operators call the apam balik "bang chang kueh". The old auntie operating the stall looks so sweet.

    ReplyDelete